Monday, January 3, 2011

Hist'ry and Overview

Anyone who knows me knows I love to eat. Ever since my chubby childhood I've always enjoyed learning about different foods, learning how to prepare them, and getting my proverbial "snack on". Just the other day, my mother recalled our weekly visits to the public library when I was a kid and how every time we went I would head straight to the "Cooking" shelf in the Children's section and peruse all of the different ethnic cookbooks. When I would return home, I remember going through all of the pictures and never really attempted to learn a recipe. One summer my Nana sent me to a cooking-class summer camp at the Children's Museum of Memphis to educate me on kitchen protocol so that I could actually make something from the cookbooks instead of just drooling over the pictured pages.


All nostalgia aside, it is safe to say that over the years I have evolved into a food enthusiast...from the white-bread and American cheese, pan-fried patty melt at a 24 hour hometown greasy-spoon called CK's to the Bajan pepper sauce laced flying-fish of Culpepper's in Brooklyn, geographical location and distance do not serve as factors when I have a hankerin' for a certain flavor. For example, when the craving sets in, without batting an eye I will travel an hour+ from my apartment in East Williamsburg Brooklyn to a Dim Sum mecca called Jade Palace in Flushing Queens...place is the sheeezy for reeezy.


It should also be noted that I have an addiction for travel...I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure that plays a role in my desire to trek a distance some might consider absurd for a tasty bite. And it's not "just to get a tasty bite"...when I leave my comfort zone to explore a random nook in this ridiculously large city, a glimpse of a different culture is had and some sort of cultural exchange most always takes place.

While I also have the constant desire to cook for friends, this blog will not be limited to restaurant visits alone. My home cooked curries and deep-fried southern delights are gonna be covered fa sho. Hell, I'll show ya how to put any soul kitchen out of business with my fried chicken recipe!


So why create another NYC foodie blog?



To be honest, I started writing it to eliminate my incessant Facebook status updates regarding when/what/where I was eating. Focusing on this allows me to give a tell-all of my favorite spots in the City where one can satiate their palate, without the limitation of characters in a FB status update. Regardless of my limited experience in blogging (reading or writing them), I'm givin' it a shot and hopefully y'all will enjoy!


- Boatner

5 comments:

  1. Bloatner!!! I'm so excited you are going for it, added this to my favorites today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boatner Eats History: A tale sewn from vomit chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo...very kewl. JB...I'm looking forward to keeping up with your culinary adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is your...destiny. I'll be up there feb 1-11, so we need to go hit up some good food! There's a taiwanese place i think you'd like, w/ the stir-fried pig intestine with celery. huh? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool blog. I agree with your theory on "authentic". It would be like saying a dish from a particular region of the US was authentic USofA food. I'm a friend of your sister. Will ck in with you before my next NY trip!

    ReplyDelete